<div id="myExtraContent1"> </div>
<div id="myExtraContent5"> </div>
Greywater Diversion System Maintenance
Greywater Diversion Devices (GDD) require some maintenance, which is often undertaken by the homeowner. Greywater Treatment Systems (GTS) also require maintenance but this has to be performed by a qualified person under the agreement of installation with the manufacturer or installer.

This fact sheet only discusses Diversion Devices, which are the most common greywater systems installed in WA.

The amount of maintenance will depend on the volume of daily greywater. As more and more greywater passes into the system hair and lint is trapped and this slowly accumulates. Regular cleaning and servicing of any greywater system is essential to maintain optimum operation and extend the life of the system.

Filter Systems

Filters need regular cleaning, often every few days to two weeks. The Operations Manual for your system will give instructions about how this is undertaken. When filters become blocked then the greywater is usually diverted to the sewer or septic system and is not available for irrigation.

The filter system varies from stainless steel strainers to cloth or nylon bags to sponge material. In some cases filters need complete replacement on a regular basis.

Sediment Tank Systems

Tank systems tend to require less maintenance, but solids will build up in the tank. Under the Code of Practice tank systems need a pump out every five years.

Some greywater systems may have two tanks or one filter and a pump tank, or some other short storage capability. While the sedimentation tank requires a five-yearly cleanout, the pump tank should be serviced very year.


While pumps can last many years, a small amount of servicing should be undertaken every three to six months. Hair and lint can block the pump intake, causing eventual pump failure.

Irrigation Maintenance

Irrigation piping and drippers can become blocked with soap scum and small suspended solid particles. Systems should have vacuum breakers and flush valves, as a minimum, as standard irrigation best practice.

Who Should I Contact?

In the first instance, contact the Environmental Health Officer at your local council if you have any questions or concerns about greywater recycling at home.
<div id="myExtraContent7"> </div>
<div id="myExtraContent8"> </div>